Design refers to the shape, structure or pattern of a product. A design patent is directed towards the visual appearance of the product rather than the function of the invention.
Our legal team is trained to use LexisNexis and Westlaw.A search prior to registration of design is necessary to ensure that your design is unique and similar designs have not been registered already. At TTC we have conducted several design based searches in the domains of general utilities, ornamental products, construction field, medical devices, electronics etc.
All design searches related to novelty, validity proceedings, clearance searches and landscape projects, require strong analytical abilities to understand the uniqueness and precise elements of each design. We have formulated a detailed standard operating procedure to meet such design search requirements.
Databases: We have access to Orbit design, Patbase, Thomson Innovation, XLPAT and Other public databases.
We follow a detailed process to scrutinize the key elements of every design.
• Identification of design based classes like Locarno classes.
• Citation search.
• Applicant/Owner based searches
• Extensive search on Non-patent literature and product manuals.
• Strategically segmenting the design into various key elements and searching on each one of them.
• Ability to accurately match a given design to our findings.